Adobe InDesign (Windows)

Adobe InDesign (Windows only) Discussions Forum. Adobe InDesign is a desktop publishing (DTP) software application produced by Adobe Systems which can be used to create posters, flyers, and brochures. 

Keywords Adobe, InDesign, Windows, Design, crashed, open, application

In Design crashed after I open the application

Adobe InDesign (Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe InDesign (Windows)

AuthorMessage
Noorzini_Gholson (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: In Design crashed after I open the application

I have adobe creative suite 2 premium. Everything works fine except In Design. After the welcome screen appears for ID, it soon freezes. I have reinstall and still it won't work. Photoshop and everything on the suite works fine.

My computer system:

1.5 GHZ pentium 4
1.5 gigabyte ddr2 533mgh ram
14 Gig free space.
Windows XP SP2

Thank you for your time.
Peter_Spier (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: In Design crashed after I open the application

Try replacing your preferences. Fast way which causes you to lose any customizations if it turns out not to be the problem is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift IMMEDIATELY after launching InDesign and saying yes to the dialog asking if you want to delete your preferences. If you don't see the dialog, you weren't fast enough with the keyboard.

My preferred method, which saves your old prefs in case you want them back, is to close ID, open Explorer and make sure you are set to show hidden and system files, then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\Version [no.] and rename the two preference files: InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData. The preferences will be replaced with a fresh set of factory defaults when you relaunch ID, but if that doesn't solve your problem you can always go back to explorer and throw out the new set and name the old ones back again, restoring any customizations. If new prefs solve your problem you should delete the renamed files.

It's a good idea to also export any custom document and printer presets from the appropriate Preset > Define dialog prior to doing a preference replacement. Then you can just go back to the dialog and select load and you won't have to recreate all those wonderful things you've made and saved, and that will be wiped out with the old prefs files.

Once you have a customized set of preferences which work, make a copy and store it somewhere on your system for easy retrieval and you can simply replace the two files with your good copies when things get funny.

If that isn't it, turn video hardware acceleration off. If that solves the problem, you need a new video driver.

In the unlikely event that neither of those is the culprit, my next suspicion would be a bad font.

Peter
Jay_Naughton (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: In Design crashed after I open the application

Had the same problem with an install of CS 2.3

The solution? One bad font.
I started removing the fonts alphabetically, and as soon as I got to "F" InDesign started up (the whole system would freeze before), Photoshop started up (would hang on start up), Illustrator started up (Memory error message 0x0034197d went away).

Still haven't narrowed down which "F" font was the problem... I can live without them for now.
   Adobe InDesign (Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe InDesign (Windows)All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1